[Geowanking] opengeocoder.net

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Thu Feb 16 16:21:43 PST 2012

Interesting idea. Scary number of man-hours till it’s comparable with OSM/Nominatim or Wikipedia. Just a couple of quick notes:

Some guidance about synonyms and homonyms is needed really early on. I don’t want to add Reading, "Reading, England", "Reading, Berkshire, England, UK" etc. and then worry about other Readings. Currently I cannot even duplicate existing bboxes to achieve this stuff. Without this it feels too much of a toy to spend more than 5 mins with.

The worker bees deserve high-level public reassurance on the PD-ability of the project from MS. If suits at some point decide/discover the imagery is not PD after all, the project’s wrecked.

Of course if people enjoy it there’ll be demand not just for arbitrary polygons and lines, but also tags and a renderer :-)

- L