[Geowanking] Web-based geoservices for state government

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 11:15:45 PST 2011

On Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Bucci, David G wrote:

> Not an Apple fan, AM an SU fan, so I’ll play orange for this round.  Of different product selections (FOSS, COTS, GOTS in this case, I suppose) to use as the base for the project that was described, was what I was thinking.

The question is still too broad, too generic. Selections and technology are secondary. What you want to accomplish is primary. If there is something that a software/technology cannot do, and *that* is exactly what you need to do, then you *have* to look elsewhere.

How about restricting the scope of the inquiry -- perhaps a tradeoff between different map servers, or between different spatial data storage mechanisms, heck, perhaps even between Windows or Unix or, ahem, cough, Macs. Just trying to figure out the difference between FOSS, COTS, GOTS (I have no idea what the heck GOTS is, but I gots some COTS and FOSS) without specifying the capabilities one wishes to deliver is a very amorphous exercise.