[Geowanking] Critiques of wfs, wms

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Sun Jan 24 11:30:01 PST 2010

R E Sieber wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can someone point me to the definitive critiques of wfs and wms?

Don't know of "Definitive", or what that would mean (OGC supplied?).
Here is a suggestive critique.

- Documentation isn't approachable: click through license to long Word
document that lacks any examples.
- No concept of cached or 'offline' support. It's a *service* that
doesn't have a mechanism for archival
- Lack of good mime-type support (a GML mime-type is emerging I think) -
this prevents smart development of serving & handling requests.
- Don't handle very large datasets well, no pagination or compression

WFS and WMS were designed not following successful best practice web
principles, and now unfortunately is harnessed with so much momentum
(vendor, industry, 'architecture enforcement') that it will be difficult
to resolve.

Andrew