[Geowanking] model of the internet - need data

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Feb 3 12:21:45 PST 2010

> It has been a while since I did this but there are several good sources for router data. Typically we used CAIDA data (http://www.caida.org/data/overview/) specifically the router adjacency data from skitter.

PCH has a somewhat larger routing-topology dataset.  You can download portions of it from:

    http://pch.net/resources/data/routing-tables/archive/

and:

    https://prefix.pch.net/applications/as-path-analysis/

depending how much you want to do your own topology analysis, versus wanting it predigested.

> http://www.opte.org/  -> I'll try reach out to these folks since
> they seem to have the best data and are nearby.

This was just something Barrett did one night in 2005.  It's not an ongoing thing, or multiple people, or anything like that.  He's a nice guy, though, and I imagine if you asked politely, he might give you whatever he still has sitting around, if you wanted to update it.  Essentially, that's a pictorial diagram of the simple adjacencies in the BGP dataset in the first URL I listed above.  Doesn't give you geographical mappings.

>  http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18944/?a=f

Likewise, same thing, probably some masters degree student doing something for a poster session.  In 2007.

> http://www.chrisharrison.net/projects/InternetMap

This is certainly closest to what you're looking for, and looks most like what we do when we do internal analysis of this sort.  The DIMES dataset is an interesting one, reasonable folks, mostly Eran Shir, to the best of my recollection, so it's a reasonable thing to base the visualization on, if you don't want to do as much work as digesting raw data.

If you want something that will present usefully, visually, at the scale of a globe, however, you'll probably need to make it quite a bit more schematic, and it's TeleGeography that are the masters of that.

    http://www.telegeography.com/product-info/map_internet/index.php

If your friend is serious about this project, we'd be happy to support him, both with the data he needs and money.  A desk globe of Internet topology and cable systems is something we've been trying to get around to as a tchotchke for upwards of ten years, and just had too many more pressing things to get done.  We also considered getting it printed on an inflatable beach-ball, as a more compact-and-shippable alternative, but didn't finish following up on that, either.

                                -Bill