[Geowanking] ...but you can do that with esri OR ...but esridoes that better? OR ...but only esri does that?
zachc1980 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 08:43:11 PDT 2009
esri v manifold v ? is good too. to get the ball rolling on this
with out esri or significant overhead, i can
* clean geometry (using gdal/ogr v $$$arcinfo desktop).
* customize ims to the nth degree (using mapserver/mapguide v
* serve vector as vector via ims (using geomedia v
* connect desktop to spatial database (using qgis/postgis/postgresql v
* clip raster by irregular shape at desktop (using manifold v
may-be-possible-with-$$$arcgis desktop 9.3(?)).
* publish data in a cool virtual globe (using
worldwind/googleearth/virtualearth v arcgis explorer).
* create and publish 3d model (using sketchup/3dvia v
* mashup data (using openlayers/google/virtualearth v $$$arcweb service).
i can not
* do versioning with out esri *and* significant overhead (using
postgis/postgresql v $$$arcsde/$$$arcims/$$$arcgis server).
* create and maintain topology with out esri or significant overhead
(using ? v $$$arcgis desktop/server).
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Ian White <ian at urbanmapping.com> wrote:
> I want to talk about Manifold. Can we talk about Manifold?
> Ian White. :: Urban Mapping Inc
> 690 Fifth Street Suite 200
> San Francisco. CA 94107
> T.415.946.8170 x800. :: F.866.385.8266. :: urbanmapping.com
> From: geowanking-bounces at geowanking.org
> To: geowanking at geowanking.org
> Sent: Wed May 20 16:58:28 2009
> Subject: Re: [Geowanking] ...but you can do that with esri OR ...but
> esridoes that better? OR ...but only esri does that?
> To step it up a notch:
> What are some things you think you can't do in other GIS software.
> What are some things you have heard others say (or feel) ESRI does better or
> only does.
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM, zach cruise <zachc1980 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...that retort comes up every freaking time i propose a cheaper
>> solution that is not esri, mostly from people who do not know that gis
>> exists outside esri. so what are some specific gis tasks you can *not*
>> do with esri with out significant overhead? i need a bigger list
>> across the spectrum: desktop, database, web etc, hence this list.
>> Geowanking mailing list
>> Geowanking at geowanking.org
> Geowanking mailing list
> Geowanking at geowanking.org
More information about the Geowanking