[Geowanking] seeking academic hosts for "GIS 101 for NPOs"

jim at maptogether.org jim at maptogether.org
Thu Aug 13 12:35:00 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

We're planning our fall sessions of "GIS 101 for Nonprofit and Community Organizations" which is a free seminar we offer in cities around the country to local nonprofit groups.  (The focus is much more on public participatory examples and Google Maps, not the latest and greatest features in Arc or technical comparison of projections :)

Ideally, we'd like to have a local university/college's geography/earth sciences or urban planning department host these events but August has been a bad time to recruit hosts in academia.

If you or someone you know would be interested in hosting the event in your city, please get in touch with me.  It's very low-impact: just provide a classroom or conference room with Internet access and a projector.  We even bring coffee and donuts for the attendees and roving grad students :)  We're currently seeking hosts all over the continental US for the Fall and Winter tours.

Thanks!
-Jim

Jim Craner
Project Manager, MapTogether