[Geowanking] AR viewfinders & 3D geodata

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Tue Aug 11 16:54:24 PDT 2009

Stefan Keller wrote:
> To me the problem is 1. Bad precision and 2. Lack of data.

Some quick thoughts on lack of interest on geowanking based on the two
problems you mention above:

1."Bad Precision

We can safely anticipate precise positioning is on the way to being
solved, at least for outdoor urban apps. Google, Microsoft and Nokia
have all announced they are work on precise positioning of handsets, by
matching significant points in images with a stored datablase of 3D
points. A few weeks ago, at the GML Geoweb conference in Vancouver,
Michael Jones, from Google showed a  3D model google guys mashed up from
flickr images using something like MS photosynth. Aside from Earthmine,
which I already mentioned,  I know of several unnanced projects to
simial things, with much greater precision.

In any case, A lot of AR will work fine simply using a GPS and compass.

2. "Lack of Data"

What's new?! In 2003 when Joshua Schachter launched  geowanking, there
was almost no geocoded web data, aside from his home grown GeoURL.  That
didn't stop anyone on this list from experimenting. About the same time
Chris Goad, Jo Walsh, Dan Brickley and others created a geo RDF,  (
IFTF.org)  Chris implemented  a  working demo  for us, at IFTF.org of
geoRDF web annotations with integrated vector shapefiles from  the
National Park Service. This demo, in '03 or '04 was the first full blown
demo of a geospatial web.

Since then,   People on  the Geowanking list including, Mikel Maron,
Andrew Turner, Alan Doyle, Raj Sing, Sean Gillies, Chris Schmidt,  Carl
Reed, Ron lake and others,  designed and implemented  GeoRSS which has
resulted in countless geocoded points, and sincel then, as we all know
google has promulgated KML which has resulted in milions more geocoded
points.

augmented reality, and many ways of processing searching and  and
viewing  geo AR.

Historically, the geowanking community, has been the crucible of
innovation for a geospatial web.  ( see above)  Maybe five years ago,
everyone was out on the street, and hungry enough to build a totally new
ways to  experience spatial data., and maybe now everyone is gainfully
employed and too distracted to launch a second perhaps even more
interesting spatial web, viewable throught the viewfinders of our
phones, and later on, perhaps in eyeglasses.  If that's the case, then
we can all just sit back and let google build the whole thing without
us. Clearly their latest UI implementations in Streetview are part way
there.
 see:
http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009/07/zoom-photo-navigation-in-street-view.html

~ Mike