[Geowanking] AR viewfinders & 3D geodata

Damon H web3dstudent at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 23:31:11 PDT 2009

Hello Mike,
  As a mixed reality metaversan, AR is one of my favorite areas of this
convergence of multiple technologies.

1. What kind of geodata and locative media will be most useful or fun to see
geopositioned in 3d in our handheld viewfinders.

If one can enhance efficiency in reality thru augmentation, what can't you
use it for?

On a personal interest level, I am seeing a growing interest from the
cultural heritage and museum space. Even a few AR projects I am working on
at the moment involve "mixed reality museums".
ARCHEOGUIDE<http://archeoguide.intranet.gr/project.htm>seems like a
great example of how the tech and geo can be used even tho I
feel the HMDs are a little too old school for the younger traveler. Of
course Metaio is doing great things with museums as seen
here<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQfCndsnXUc>.

2. How will we search, view, create, and serve open 3d AR geodata?
 We will search probably thru Google or Bing. View thru many different
apps/players and create from many tools. To serve it up, that is where we
will need standards. It is wise for the community to support liaisons like
that of the OGC <http://www.opengeospatial.org/> with Web3D
Consortium<http://web3d.org/>.
I want to join the diehards coming out of their silos for collaboration and
action to ensure that the AR web stays open and free especially from any one
dominant player (e.g. Google) and the sooner the better. Perhaps a SFBay
area ARDevelopers Camp is in order?

3. What is the  prospective FOSS stack for 3dAR geoservices?
All kinds of standards and FOSS will continue to develop as these
technologies emerge and mix. CityGML, X3D, and open source ARKits like this
one <http://thetechnologist.tv/blog/iphone-arkit-released-iphonedevcamp> for
mobile devices will definitely lead the charge.  The iPhone ARkit guys
(younger group) knocked this out this past weekend while I was at the
IDC3.<http://www.iphonedevcamp.org/>Imagine what a team of seasoned
pros from this group could knock out. Again,
perhaps an ARDevelopers Camp?

Using the X3D open standard, the groups I work with have created very
interactive AR content and are looking to bring more geo3D to AR. Pop up AR
windows and tags are nice, but those of us (Gen X/Y) want the geoweb of
information, 3D building overlays, avatars walking next to us down the
street, and other Ghost In the Shell type AR for those familiar. If those in
the geo community don't crank the gas on AR, Google will. Then, like now,
will be those interested stuck in KML/KMZ land when better more robust tech
is available.

I thank the Europeans (Layar, Wikitude, Enkin, Metaio, Total Immersion,
Fraunhofer, etc.) for really pushing AR into the mobile and web mainstream.

If our geosphere is not ready, then I can't think of a better place or group
of people, the GeoWankers, to take it there.

IMHO
Damon H

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Mike Liebhold <mnl at well.com> wrote:

> This is a humble request for geowanker mappers and geocoding web artists
> alike to join me to quiet our 2d cartographic minds for a minute to engage
> in a little thought experiment about  handheld views of 3d geodata:
>
> Context:   The realtime tweetsphere  http://bit.ly/rZncR and youtubesphere
>   http://bit.ly/UwQ3u are alive with news of handheld AR, [agumented
> reality] capabilities & apps, and services. Besides layar and wikitude on
> android, there are already a number cool hacks for jailbroken iPhones, and
> veiled confirmations from apple that the next rev. of the iphone os dev
> release for the 3gs will support AR app integration of gps, compass, and
> graphic overlay of video cam views.  The viewfinder is becoming a new AR 3d
> web browser.
>
> AR is here, if not today, tomorrow, but i suspect our geosphere is not
> ready.
>
> questions for fellow geowankers:
>
> 1. What kind of geodata and locative media will be most useful or fun to
> see geopositioned in 3d in our handheld viewfinders.
>
> e.g.  floating labels of things, animated directions, emergency alerts,
>  news and ads to filter, cartoon games, visible clouds of wifi signal
> strength, visible sensor net readings of air quality.. visible entry into
> another colored polygon
> of cartographic meaning, etc.
>
> 2. How will we search, view, create, and serve open 3d AR geodata?
>
> 3. What is the  prospective FOSS stack for 3dAR geoservices?
>
> e.g.  starting at the top with a 3D firefox or open layers equivelant
> client down to a cloudwide RESTful deep geocoded web of linked 3D geodata?
>
> Just curious, what people are thinking these days . . .
>
> Mike

3D Web & Metaverse builder
"We are all students of the emerging 3D web"