[Geowanking] comments on the touchidot video

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Wed Sep 17 16:54:06 PDT 2008

Thanks Anselm,

This is an interesting mock-up, a little more refined than the the
enkin.net  hack . Here's a few quick of thoughts:

1. Google has already released mobile street view ( see
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2008/09/street-view-and-walking-directions-come.html
) AR geotags are sure to follow. They're already paritally supported by
KML see
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/services.html#StreetviewOverlays

2. Creating an image DNS is a great idea,  and necessary for 3D
geopositioning  by matching viewable points with a pointcloud database.
perhaps achievable by an OSM style process. in the meantime
experimenting with existing data seems like a path forward.
Earthmine.com has  offered the hacker community experimental access to
their very detailed database of 3D pointclouds for cities in the western
US ( not pdx, alas) they claim 20cm/pixel 3D location accuracy.

3. There's enormous work ahead working out a usable UI for sorting
though what will be abundant visible data and media draped across the
real-world, viewable through our mobile viewfinders.

4. So far there is no standard markup for KML placemark docs.   - they
are NOT,  but should be,  fully functional web objects. Yah I know you
can insert html, but can you implement AJAX in a KML placemark?

4. We better move quick, The Handheld AR meme is in the air. The
Tonchidot demo demonstrates, that the mainstream techcruch VC crowd is
now dialed  and very stoked by the possibilties the viewfinder as the
next browser.

- Mike