[Geowanking] Turf Bombing

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sat Nov 15 11:50:11 PST 2008

P Kishor wrote:
> On 11/15/08, Che-Wei Wang <cwwang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://turfbombing.com/
>>
>>  Turf Bombing is a location-based war game which rewards and encourages
>> traveling and learning about different neighborhoods.
>>
>>  This game requires a laptop and works anywhere in the world where there's a
>> wifi connection. Your laptop's wifi connection is used to triangulate your
>> position.
>>
>> Teams are assigned by the zip code of your home address. The goal of each
>> team is to gain as much territory as possible.
>>
>>  Territories are acquired as players plant time bombs at different locations
>> in physical space. If the bomb is not diffused by a local team member in
>> time, the bomb will explode and the territory will be turned over to the
>> team that planted the bomb.
>

> I wish some other metaphor were used here. I can imagine sitting down
> in an airport, and starting to "plant time bombs at different
> locations in physical space" to while away the layover, and then...
>

> ...being led away in handcuffs.

Yeah, this was my reaction too. The game sounds great, and encouraging
exploration of neighbourhoods is a very very worthy goal. But the bomb
planting bit kind of kills the mood. Shoot-em-up games are all very well
when confined to fantasy land, but when brought into reality it's a bit
more erm, icky...

Dan