[Geowanking] Election Maps / Population Cartogram

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 7 10:15:25 PST 2008

hi,

the algorithm for creating such maps is described here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/101/20/7499.abstract

The method is diffusion based. It uses density distribution of some
attribute in space (2d area) to compute this maps (value per area). I
don't think you can compute such maps from just distances between
points. You would have to interpolate it into space (2d area) before you
could use that algorithm I think.

I'm shure the most of you guys know already about this:
http://www.worldmapper.org/
But for the record here are some more of such maps. ;-)

regards
Christian