[Geowanking] RE: Geowanking Digest, Vol 50, Issue 33

Artem Pavlenko artem.mapnik at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:59:49 PST 2008

> There was one slightly geo related issue in language choices - to
> find an excuse to draw geo back into this:
>
> I was monkeying around with building a cellular automata simulation
> (of rainfall) and I found java to be horrifically wasteful - hard
> to conserve against cache misses.  You can't express a series of
> "structs" like in C or C++ or C# .  If you wanted to build a sparse
> matrix implementation, like lapac uses etc - you have to do it in C
> as an external library.
Or fortran, perhaps :D
lapack in Java , hehe

Here is one of my favorite quotes on java ;)
“I spent several months programming in Java. Contrary to its author’s
prediction, it did not grow on me. I did not find any new insights -
for the first time in my life programming in a new language did not
bring me new insights. It keeps all the stuff that I never use in C++
- inheritance, virtuals - OO gook - and removes the stuff that I find
useful. It might be successful… but it has no intellectual value
whatsoever”

–Alexander Stepanov

Cheers
A.