[Geowanking] GB Historic Counties polygons

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 7 00:40:15 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 07:54 +0000, Andrew Larcombe wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2008, at 04:21, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
> > Thanks.  Looks like I can probably get what I need from their wms.
>

> FWIW, it looks like their wms server comes out of edina who are the
> suppliers of the academic datasets as mentioned originally.

Yes.  According to the visionofbritain.org.uk web site about page: "This
web site was created by the Great Britain Historical GIS Project".  From
what I could gather from reading both sites, it appears they have may
have been created from separate funding projects though.  It would seem
the historiccountiestrust.co.uk effort at digitising the county
boundaries is duplicating what almost certainly already exists in the
gbhg effort, but hasn't been made public because nobody funded them to
make it public.

Tim Bowden