[Geowanking] slight update to iphone spinny globe
anselm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:32:47 PST 2008
I happened to notice that there's a community sources installer option
in installer.app ...
So I packaged up the globe as something you can install on your iphone
yourself without having to be a code guru.
( Perhaps this defeats the purpose since I was hoping to get somebody
else to help me hack on it.... but anyway you can see it - and it is
vaguely cute as a party trick even as it stands. )
In any case, here's the instructions:
0) Buy an iphone - what you don't have one?
1) Crack your phone (ziphone.org).
2) Goto your installer icon on your iphone desktop
3) Goto sources within your installer
4) Add a new source - the url will be:
5) (When typing in the iphone ui it will try to capitalize iPhone.XML
- reject that suggestion.)
6) (Now you will have the globe as a source in your installer choices )
7) Goto your installer main menu.
8) Goto Multimedia.
9) Goto Globe.
10) Install that.
11) (Now it will appear as an icon on your iphone desktop - Congradulations)
All you can do right now is rotate it. It does not fetch textures
dynamically. The sun position is static right now. Please feel free to
help out. For the source code see /iphone. This runs on the OpenGLES
profile and since it is unofficial it is not perfect - there are
occasional screen flashes.
I'm waiting for feb 26 (Apples launch of the IPhone SDK ) before I put
in more work on this in general... after which point I'm sure there
will be about as many versions of spinny globes as there are iphone
developers... so at which point it may all be moot.
(In other news on the topic of spinny globes I'm contracting a fellow
to do a week or so of work on the flash version; so that will probably
improve to the point where it is usable.)
See http://meadanglobe.googlecode.com for more exciting details.
More information about the Geowanking