[Geowanking] ogc control? of kml

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Mon Apr 28 10:53:22 PDT 2008

Andrew Turner wrote:
> What do you mean specifically? KML 2.2 has 3d geometry.

oops - I was following a thread on the GeoRSS list, Specifically Josh's
post.

"Joshua Lieberman wrote:
> 3D position lists are entirely allowed in GeoRSS GML. It simply
> requires specifying a 3D CRS, just as in GML and eventually in KML. "

Thanks to both Mano Marks and Ed Parsons  for prompt and thoughtful
replies from Google, and Tim Bowden for observing the tensions in
pre-standard extensions of 'standards'.

I'm only suggesting that we all pay close attention as OGC considers
next versions of KML  and Google continues to innovate with their very
popular  apps.  Due to the scale of their user base (in Google maps and
Google earth and a zillion mash-ups),  Google can implement any
'pre-standard'  kml extensions any time they want,  that will be so
massively adopted to become de-facto standards, that it will be nigh
impossible for anyone in OGC to change, or even ammend. Like trying to
turn a supertanker.

It's very encouraging that Google is deeply engaged with OGC and that
GML,  GeoRSS, and  Geo-Rest folks are paying attention. It will take
this kind of focus and attenion, and probably more from other
perspectives to  make KML a genuinely open and portable standard. In the
meantime I hope that Google  continues their good citizenship and
remains transparent and will work with the communities before and major
pre-emptive extensions.