[Geowanking] iPhone Geolocating technology?

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Tue Sep 11 17:16:56 PDT 2007

There's news today that there might be something useful here for
building iphone wifi geolocation:
http://code.google.com/p/iphone-wireless/     it looks like it's
possible to scan for an AP SSID:
http://code.google.com/p/iphone-wireless/wiki/Apple80211Scan

ideally, if you have a db of locations of AP SSIDs then all you have to
do is scan and compare visible APs with known AP locations to determine
your location.

so the question remains, (aside from the skyhook/loki commercial db)
what is the best source of a db of geocoded wifi AP SSIDs?   Drew, Is
wifimaps.com the best, current source?  also, I'm wondering if anyone
has had any recent experience with the wigle db?