[Geowanking] opengl and iphone variations of globe

stephen white steve at adam.com.au
Thu Oct 25 02:52:08 PDT 2007

On 25/10/2007, at 6:47 PM, Anselm Hook wrote:
> playing around with this i see that pretty much everything you can
> imagine coming to the iphone will eventually be there; tons and
> tons of 3d games, ports of every single little opengl demo ever
> written etcetera;

There has been speculation that the reason that Apple didn't release
a SDK is because they're switching the iPhone hardware to a more
powerful Intel chipset. If they released the SDK when people wanted,
then they'd have to support the older ARM platform (which it is now).

Most mobile phones and PDAs support OpenGL ES in hardware, so I
expect there'll be quite a change when HTML5 (WHATWG) introduces the
canvas tag, albeit programmed by Javascript. I wonder if there will
be a compiled layer for extra speed, but doubt it.

Another possibility is the Tamarin engine, which drives AS3 - that
has compiled Javascript without a few things like "eval()"... that
may be co-opted to run scripting in web pages, especially since eval
() is not something for cut'n'paste coders to go near...

As an aside, I'm doing similar things but haven't said anything since
I'm using Away3d rather than Papervision3d.

Steve.

   steve at adam.com.au