[Geowanking] You Spy Networks @ Coachella 2007

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 10:37:34 PST 2007

Hi Jeffrey

I've been thinking about similar efforts for DIY remote sensing over Burning Man (minus the commercial sponsorship).
So I'm very interested in what you're proposing, helping, and seeing if there could be any overlap in the Black Rock Desert.

Pasted in below, my quick take on the idea
-Mikel

Over one week, Black Rock City is assembled and destroyed, in an
intense recapitulation of urbanization over history. It's an
ideal experimental ground for anyone interested in the life cycle of
cities.

The ultimate goal of this project is a low cost, remote
sensing platform which takes a photo every minute for the entire week
of Burning Man. The latest imagery is relayed back to the ground, for
all sorts of event feedback (find friends, remote sensing art).
Post-event assemble that week of imagery into a time lapse movie.

This
is no small technical task. And an extreme environment. But just as
other facets of GIS have been amatuerized, remote sensing is poised to
become a democratic technology. Why wait for NASA or Google to fly
over? These guys aren't... http://del.icio.us/mikel_maron/diysensors%2Bremotesensing

Over
2007, the aim is to attract skilled people to the project, design, and
prototype with a limited version for this year, and aim for a complete
project in 2008.