RE: [Geowanking] SDI - time for a new name?

Jeremy Irish jeremy at
Fri Dec 28 10:39:54 PST 2007

I'd strike the word "Web" entirely.

Geospatial Technology is, I suppose, the general term we use, though we're more into neosurveying or locative media/gaming. Neogeographers for me tend to be the people writing the code (GIS types) while neosurveyors are the participants who are submitting their own content to maps.

-----Original Message-----
From: geowanking-bounces at [mailto:geowanking-bounces at] On Behalf Of Sean Gillies
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 10:29 AM
To: geowanking at
Subject: Re: [Geowanking] SDI - time for a new name?

The GeoWeb term has been bogus in its own way. It's supposed to be an analogy to WWW or Semantic Web, right? But what's the defining characteristic of these webs? Links, computationally actionable links.
Geospatial architectures have always been sparsely linked, at least until Google Earth and KML hit the mainstream.