[Geowanking] hacking Street View?

Annalee Newitz annalee at techsploitation.com
Mon Aug 13 10:16:21 PDT 2007

stephen white wrote:

> The existence of mash-ups appear to be a secondary side effect from
> companies wanting to embed advertising into their data and then have
> that advertising appear on other people's websites. The other side is
> people wanting to access that data, but they're not free to use it as
> they would wish.
I actually have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. The other
problem with mashups is that they're entirely dependent on maintaining a
good relationship with the commercial data provider (generally, Google
or Yahoo). This is not a good long-term strategy for a mapping
application. I'd much rather have apps that depend on public data, not
Company X's proprietary stuff.

I think long-term the best mashups will be bought by the companies whose
data they're based on, and the others will be shortlived
flavor-of-the-month apps. I could be wrong, but I do think most mashups
are temporary apps. Nothing bad about that, though.

Annalee

--
Annalee Newitz

writer: science, technology, pop culture, sex
http://www.techsploitation.com/
*
president: computer professionals for social responsibility
http://www.cpsr.org
*
editor: other
http://www.othermag.org