[Geowanking] Map Image APIs

charles.e.dingman at census.gov charles.e.dingman at census.gov
Thu Apr 26 13:08:47 PDT 2007

Census has to be able to redistribute geospatial files to the public, in
order to enable the best use of census and survey results, and to my
knowledge Census had not found a vendor that would agree to its putting the
vendor's data into the public domain.  Some information is protected by
legislation, but basically everything else is and has to be open to the
public.  Homeland Defense can limit distribution to participating partners,
mostly government agencies or companies contracted to them, for use in
planning and operations.  It doesn't generally have to publish everything
that went into making those plans or conducting operations; Census does.

Charles Dingman, Geographer/301-763-1120
4H040, Geography Division
US Census, 4600 Silver Hill Rd Stop 7400
Washington, DC 20233-7400

             Alan McConchie
             <almccon at ofb.net>
             geowanking-bounce         geowanking at lists.burri.to
             s at lists.burri.to                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/26/2007 03:52          Re: [Geowanking] Map Image APIs
             PM

             Please respond to
             geowanking at lists.
                 burri.to

Did this press release make it to the geowanking list?

"September 13, 2006 – NAVTEQ (NYSE: NVT), a leading global provider
of digital map data for location-based solutions and vehicle
navigation, has been selected as a primary map data provider by the
US Government.  NAVTEQ will provide road network and standard points
of interest data under a government-wide enterprise license to
numerous Government agencies supporting US homeland defense."

http://www.navteq.com/webapps/NewsUserServlet?
action=NewsDetail&newsId=443

So, if Homeland Security will trust our safety to a commercial map
provider, instead of handling it in-house, then why wouldn't Census
buy their maps from the private sector, too?  That is, assuming they
can afford it.

Alan