[Geowanking] Why the new government brand bit gets under my skin!

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at magma.ca
Mon Apr 23 18:48:28 PDT 2007

Below are some links with how the Canadian tories are enforcing the New
Government Brand and why some of us get a little touchy about this!

It is the progressive as in 'progressive' public servants within Natural
Resources Canada, Earth Science Sector, GeoConnections, Geomatics
Canada, and Geobase who deserve kudos for the great Unrestricted Use
Licence Agreement (http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/licence.jsp*) *and
getting the data out at no cost.  This has been in the works for years
particularly with Geobase and GeoGratis.  The release is precedent
setting but we still have a long way to go as much of the data required
to fill in the framework or to join with the street networks are housed
in other Government of Canada agencies, the Provincial and Municipal
governments with huge cost recovery fees and very restrictive licenses.
As jo would say, the government remains a monopolist on public data.

This is topo release is however a very welcome step!

B.C. scientist booted over refusal to use 'new government'
Last Updated: Monday, September 18, 2006 | 9:10 PM ET
CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2006/09/18/okulitch-scientist.html

B.C. scientist reinstated by Ottawa after phrase flap
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 | 8:31 PM ET
CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/09/19/scientist-flap.html

For some comedy!
Harper in Harper's