[Geowanking] Need a location app

Jeremy Irish jeremy at groundspeak.com
Fri Jan 6 11:07:52 PST 2006

Distance calculations keyed to database entries isn't a huge issue if that's all you are looking for. All you really need is the Great Circle calculation, a waypoint projection function, and some simple filtering of the database by a bounding box determined from waypoint projections. From there you can calculate and sort by distance from an origin.

UK Postal Code data is licensed on an annual basis which is around $1k/year to the Queen. This information contains the latitude/longitude for each postal code. That will allow you to "mark" each address with the postal code which might be good enough for your uses. I would recommend tracking down a good geocoding application or service to better mark these locations, however.

As far as I know there isn't an open source solution for what you are looking for. It is a pretty straightforward application so I'm sure you can find someone to help write this for you. Unfortunately we don't really do consulting work.

HTH

Jeremy Irish
President, Groundspeak
http://www.groundspeak.com