[Geowanking] Perl Geospatial Content (and other gems?)

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Aug 30 11:32:13 PDT 2006

On 30 Aug 2006, at 19:26, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Somewhere at the top of this I made a fairly modest proposal to
> survey, document and improve the geo-related modules on CPAN so
> that people who understand the basics of geometry but don't know
> the GIS terminology would have a better experience when trying to
> perform simple geo programming tasks.
>
> Since then I've slightly lost track of the flow of the discussion.
> Is anyone still interested in doing /that/ (and for now /just/
> that)? :)

Oh, and further to that I'm in the process of getting control of
Geo::Gpx (although it'd be better if it were called Geo::GPX) which
is currently incomplete with a view to fleshing it out as a complete
general purpose GPX parser / generator. Next up I plan to visit

* datum conversion
* conversion to and from various national grids
* conversion to and from various location notations (DMS, decimal
degrees &c)
* interface to allow gpsbabel to be used simply as an input output
filter
* simple spatial and temporal indexes for small (i.e. in core) sets
of points and features

I have existing code to do each of those things so the main thrust of
that activity is to tidy it up for release and write good quality
documentation and test suites.

So that's the kind of activity I was envisaging. If anyone's still
interested in that kind of thing let me know.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net