[Geowanking] FW: Licensing image catalog ID 10100100018E8E01

Ben Discoe ben at vterrain.org
Tue Aug 1 11:48:18 PDT 2006

FYI..

It appears that Google licensed ALL of DigitalGlobe's imagery on an
_exclusive_ basis for online presentation.  So if i wanted to do something
on a website, with DigitalGlobe's hi-res imagery, for example if the Google
Maps framework isn't flexible enough, i cannot legally go around Google to
license the image myself!  I can imagine why Google did this - to prevent
Microsoft,Mapquest etc. from licensing the same imagery in their webmapping
frameworks - but the net effect is that ordinary people, NGOs and small
companies are also cut off.

This seems to skirt the edge of 'do no evil'.

I thought it was interesting and friendly, that DigitalGlobe openly referred
me to their competitor GeoEye (Space Imaging Ikonos/OrbImage OrbView).

In this particular case, DigitalGlobe (QuickBird) has the only hi-res
cloud-free image in existence for my part of the world (Hawaii).  So i
cannot go to any other source.

-Ben