[Geowanking] MILES virtual seminar ... requests input

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Tue Nov 15 00:37:12 PST 2005

Jody Garnett wrote:

> Apparently they are having trouble getting conversation going. Recent
> topics have been:
> -  U.N. 1000 cities programme - with Open Source?
> -  EMIS experiences supported by UNHabitat SCP/LA2
>
> I know this list is about getting stuff done, and this seminar smacks
> of not getting anything done. If you have a moment drop in and say hi,
> apparently they are interested in know who is around.

Thanks for this info Jody. I also did not know about MILES project. I
know that my University has been in discussions with UNHabitat, and they
said they need help, e.g., in the UN 1000 Cities programme in
customizing ESRI software. We questioned the software selection and said
that FOSS should be an option. We also proposed that we could examine
their GIS policy and perhaps help through student exchange. This was in
the spring and I've heard nothing since.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics