[Geowanking] C5 @ San Francisco Camerawork

Jeremy Stocks stocksll33 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 24 01:09:53 PDT 2005

Matt,

You may be interested in Amsterdam Realtime carroied out a few years back on the same lines:

http://www.waag.org/realtime/

Jeremy

Matt Mays <matt at cosmodrome.com> wrote:
All,

My name is Matt Mays and I've been lurking on the list for quite a
while. I'm part of an art collective in the SF Bay Area that does
locative media-ish stuff. We have a show up at the Camerawork gallery
in San Francisco until June 25th... stop by if you're in the area.

The opening is tommorrow from 5-8pm. There's a panel with Marc Tuters
on Thursday @ 7pm.

Camerawork is on Folsom between 8th and 9th.

Thanks,
Matt

======

http://www.sfcamerawork.org/exhibitions.html
http://www.sfcamerawork.org/events.html
http://www.c5corp.com

C5 Landscape Initiative
May 24-June 25, 2005
Opening Reception: Tuesday, May 24, 5-8 pm
C5 artists include: Steve Durie, Bruce Gardner, Amul Goswamy, Matt Mays,
Joel Slayton, Brett Stalbaum, Jack Toolin and Geri Wittig.

San Francisco Camerawork presents The C5 Landscape Initiative, an
exhibition featuring work by C5 Corporation, a new media collective
based in San Jose, California. The Landscape Initiative is the
culmination of three years of research and documentation of C5's
performative expeditions into the landscape through Geographic
Information Systems (GIS) and big data analyses. C5 is interested in how
people interact with data, and how data influences the way we interact
with our environment.

The exhibition will include media installations that blend innovative
uses of digital technologies to explore, navigate and map the landscape
on both sides of the globe. Presented through work generated by database
software developed by C5, this exhibition features digital photographic
prints, fabricated sculptural objects, 3D visualizations and digital
video. The exhibition will allow viewers to interact with C5's
expeditions, while exploring our relationships to the land in a data
driven world.

Through a collaboration with the Whitney Museum's Artport site,
http://artport.whitney.org you will be able to access The C5 Landscape
Initiative GPS Media Player. The GPS Media Player creates an implicit
timeline and meta narratives for each of the Landscape Initiative
projects. It provides a means of documenting the projects from their
point of common inception, data and process.

San Francisco Camerawork is located at 1246 Folsom Street between 8th
and 9th
Gallery Hours: 12-5 pm, Tuesday-Saturday
Gallery Admission is F R E E
For more information please visit:
http://www.sfcamerawork.org
http://www.c5corp.com