[Geowanking] Adrian's ChicagoCrime.org

Carl Shimer carl at clingfire.net
Sat May 21 10:33:07 PDT 2005

The information design of chicagocrime.org blows the ICAM site out of the
water.  I would much rather trust my "Aunt tilly" to find the useful
locative data from chicagocrime.org - I think she would be hard pressed to
use the ICAM site.

Regarding google maps: what other site can offer web service style
integration to provide very sexy maps?  To integrate with google maps you
need two things:

1) a web page with some javascript
2) the abililty to post an XML document with lat/lng coordinates to
maps.google.com.

That's why people are using it - you can knock out a mapping site in a
couple of days, no software to download install, no need to serve up your
own maps, etc.  Of course, google could pull the service at any time but
that is another issue :)

Carl