[Geowanking] geo microformat BOF session at Where 2.0

Chris Goad cg at mapbureau.com
Tue Jul 5 15:08:24 PDT 2005

Schuyler,

A quick (and no doubt obvious) note about microformats: to my thinking, they
fill a very specific niche: lightweight tagging of xhtml content with data
not intended for human consumption. I don't regard microformats as any kind
of alternative to the various web data formats; certainly not RDF. More
generally, microformats aren't required in architectures where presentation
is generated from semantically coherent representations of underlying
content; of course I'd advocate RDF for the representation.

Practically speaking, though, there is  a vast world of content that flows
around as XHTML only; we geowankers will benefit greatly from any widely
adopted method of geotagging this content. You might mention GRDDL,  but it
may be that GRDDL's slightly higher complexity and more abstract formulation
will be an obstacle to adoption. We'll see.

-- Chris