[Geowanking] details lbs contest

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Thu Oct 21 11:31:14 PDT 2004

Here's the details for navteq  LBS (Location Based Service) challenge
http://www.lbschallenge.com/ <http://www.lbschallenge.com/>

$50,000 first prize,
$10,000 category prizes  (5)
<http://www.lbschallenge.com/>
Some Rules:

- entries must use navteq data, run on wireless link
- navteq _proprietary_ data is is ArcView Shapefile, ArcInfo, MapInfo
and Oracle formats
-  first dowlad  data is for San Francisco -  Chicago and New Orleans
impementations required for semi-final and final judging
-categories:
     .Personal Security
     .Peer to Peer/Find Me
     .Navigation/POI Look Up/Traffic
     .Commerce/Advertising/Buying/Billing
     .Asset Tracking/Field Services
     .Gaming/Location Based Imaging
- registration forms must be received by 11:59.59 pm CT on November 30, 2004

I've been thiking that it would be fun to do a non-commercial thing like
this with open data, open apps.., maybe without prizes, just whuffy.
Maybe an open Tricorder Challenge,to see who can create the most deeply
and interestingly  hyper annotated, and vector layered rendition of a
_place_ - any place. using open data, and open source apps..We could
pick a date, Say, September 5, 2005, and do the whole thing online from
the US, Europe, Asia, wherever...

-mike