[Geowanking] mobile phone tracking services in US & UK?

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Wed Jul 14 22:17:16 PDT 2004

Mike Liebhold wrote:

> I have heard, or seen, tangential mentions but no real confirmations
> that Sprint, Verizon, Nextel, Orange, and T-mobile, and maybe others
> all offer location coordinates to applications. Can any one confirm
> any or all of  this with pointers to carrier developer or partner
> support web sites for technical details and/or pricing?

Hello again,

If anyone is interested, I  googled a bit today, and found these:

Bell Canada has announced their 'My Finder
<http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=noorigin.jsp&event=link%28goto%29&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/wireless/data/mobile_browser/myfinder/index.jsp&contentpage=home&ADV=MyFinder>'
Service returning location info to users' handsets.

Sprint has signed separate alliances with Microsoft
<http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/mls/sprint.mspx>, and  IBM
<http://www.sprint.com/sprint/strategicalliances/ibm.html>   to provide
location services infrastructure including location coordinates  as part
of their Busines Mobility Framework" [.pdf].
<http://www.parlay.org/docs/may2004mm/Showcase_Presentations/Wednesday/02Sprint.pdf>

Location middleware provider Webraska
<http://www.webraska.com/Products/>,  is helping set up services for
many carriers including Orange, O2, Vodafone, Telecom Italia Mobile,
Bell Mobility, and Sensis (Telstra Group, Australia.)
<http://www.webraska.com/Customers/>

While Skymo <http://www.skymo.com/Location/> is offering location
services on O2, Vodafone, Orange, and TMobile for 10-13p. per location
query. <http://www.skymo.com/Location/>

Yes, I know.some of these overlap and are tangential to my original
questions. I'm still looking for more nitty gritty developer stuff &
pricing for coordinates, and hoping that someone here knows more about
carrier location coordinate services.

Cheers-

Mike