[Geowanking] WFS misgivings etc

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Mon Jan 19 13:25:54 PST 2004

jo walsh wrote:

But to me OGC don't seem terribly keen for non-industry-or-defense-funded-academia people to actually use their specifications.

Hi Jo & colleagues-

Jo is making some righteous points. But to be fair, even to many
experienced techies, OpenGIS specs are no more incomprehensible than the
semantic web. How many  ordinary people (not idiots.) do you know that
understand how namespaces, schemas and ontologies can be used to make
better maps. Before ordinary people can benefit much from a combination
of geospatial data and locative hypermedia, both  OpenGIS  and Semantic
Web types have much to learn from each other to explain to mere mortals
how alien systems of spatial knowledge will make their lives more
interesting.

I hope Sonny Parafina's talk at ETCON on on OpenGIS specs, WFS,  Web Map Server / Web Feature Server/ Web Coverage Server (imagery)/ Web Terrain Server / Catalog, etc. will kick off a rich exchange of views.

Cheers-

Mike Liebhold