[Geowanking] Jaron Lanier's 11 reasons Why Virtual Reality Has Not (Yet) Become a Widespread Technology

Anselm Hook anselm at hook.org
Fri Sep 5 17:21:34 PDT 2003

Always seemed to me that VR failed because the originators thought that
form was equal to function...  They invented a grammer for representing
the appearance of things - not the underlying reality - and were dismayed
when they could not breathe life into their clay.

One thing I think that makes this locative media stuff so interesting is
that it is really about getting computers to come out and play.  Instead
of sucking our minds into computers instead we're trying to find ways to
augment the reality around us.  Mapping seems to be of interest to people
who are passionately interested in the real world.  I suspect this is why
a perhaps disproportionate percentage of the geowankers seem to have
ecological and outdoorsy interests.

 - a