[Geowanking] Open Source IP Locator With City Precision

Vincent-Olivier Arsenault vincent at up4.com
Mon Aug 18 13:46:13 PDT 2003

Nigel, Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

I downloaded RIPE's database and analyzed the data.

Well, I don't see any pattern that would allow me to write a regular
expression, nor anything noninteractive, to extract the city and ISP info :

descr:        TELECOM ITALIA LAB SPA
country:      IT

descr:        1069 CB Amsterdam
country:      NL

descr:        D-90427 Nuernberg
country:      DE

descr:        35590           Saint Gilles
country:      FR

descr:       Bourg en Bresse
country:     FR

descr:        Global One
country:      EU

descr:        1069 CB Amsterdam
country:      NL

Except, only, if I could find a free database of all the cities, by
country, somewhere. Do you know of anything like that?

As for the use of it, well, I tested AntiOnline, and it has enough
reliability to make it useable in pretty much any geo related BI
application combined with elemetaty probalistic distribution for unknown
entries...

Another question : were could we find the RIPE-equivalent data for IPv6?

Also, I'd rather contribute to the InetAddressLocator project and test
with a PostgreSQL backend for data storage and querying (they support
the handy "inet" data type).

Thanks a lot,

Vincent-Olivier