[Geowanking] City Detection

Anthony Townsend anthony at nycwireless.net
Tue Aug 12 13:59:19 PDT 2003

Most of the companies that do this (Quova, Digital Envoy, Akamai) use a
combination of about 5 data sources on routers and domains, router
names, known data about latency between city pairs on different
networks, and guesswork.

It's accurate enough at the national level for all kinds of
applications, but I've yet see any well-executed city level uses.